On Friday 27th March, the UK's first cinema devoted to documentary will open in the heart of London. The Bertha DocHouse will be housed within the new Curzon Bloomsbury (formerly the Renoir) which has been closed for some time now undergoing the necessary renovations. The new screen itself will be programmed independently by documentary champions DocHouse, who already are responsible for screening and promoting cutting edge docs around the UK (see their DocHouse Thursdays).
See the press release below:
Experience the world through the eyes of its greatest filmmakers and revel in the art of documentary at Bertha DocHouse. We'll bring the auteurs, the rule breakers, the artists and the investigators to the big screen.
Within the brand new Curzon Bloomsbury, Bertha DocHouse is the first cinema screen in the UK dedicated exclusively to documentaries. This unique space in the heart of London will be a vibrant hub of UK and international activity. From DocHouse Thursdays to hands-on workshops, showcase previews and intimate Q&As, you'll find a jam-packed daily programme of screenings and events to intrigue, inform and entertain.
Here's what to look forward to
• The Bertha DocHouse screen will be open every day, showing an exciting programme of documentaries from the UK and across the world.
• Our Flagship DocHouse Thursdays strand of special previews and premieres will continue in the main 150-seat screen at Curzon Bloomsbury.
Programme highlights include:
27 March: UK Premiere THE FORECASTER: Jaw-dropping profile of renegade financial wizard Martin Armstrong.
29 March: UK Premiere PIXADORES: Sao Paulo's adrenalin-junkie street artists breaking all the rules in Berlin.
2 April: LFF 2014 favourite WAITING FOR AUGUST: Compelling portrait of courageous Romanian teenager Georgiana, caring for her 6 siblings when their mother emigrates to Italy to find work.
• The screen will be programmed independently by DocHouse, building on our experience of showing the very best docs from around the world in London cinemas for over a decade.
• The programme will include a vibrant, cross-genre mix of docs on the UK release calendar, as well as titles without distribution, festival favourites and a strong programme of themed seasons and rep screenings through the year.
• The new Bertha DocHouse screen, with its own lounge and bar, is set to become a much-used hub for documentary in the UK: championing docs, featuring special events & Q&As, building audiences, fostering new talent, partnering with other organisations and festivals (collaborations are already underway with The Tate, Sheffield Doc Fest, Storyville, Open City Doc Fest, and the London College of Communication), and celebrating the depth and breadth of the form.
Bertha DocHouse and Curzon Bloomsbury will open March 27th 2015. Watch this space for the latest news and information about the programme!