Right under your noses in SE London is a incredibly active and diverse film club scene, perfect for those who can't stand the howling kids and stench of overripe popcorn in modern cinemas. Many of these screenings, events and mini-film seasons take place in offbeat locations like cafes, pubs, even the odd cemetery now and then. The kaleidoscope of clubs and events listings are grouped under the handy umbrella of the South East London Film Club site.
There are too many events and venues to list here, and the listings rarely are put up a full month in advance, so check back here for updates or follow the club via its mailing list and twitter/facebook accounts.
Announced already for July:
- Wed 9 July: AMERICAN HUSTLE
- Wed 9 July: ON THE WATERFRONT
- Wed 9 July: BRAINE HOWND @ The HOB
- Wed 9 – Sat 12 July: THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
- Thurs 10, Fri 11 July: AN EPISODE IN THE LIFE OF AN IRON PICKER
Thurs 10 – Thurs 17 July: SCREEN SYDENHAM: FRAGMENTS FROM A CENTURY OF CINEMA
SCREEN SYDENHAM: FRAGMENTS FROM A CENTURY OF CINEMA is series of six films from across the century since the First World War, brought about by a teacup of Sydenham Film Club with Sydenham Arts Festival to bring you
Highlights include free screenings and workshops, post-film discussions (and meatballs apparently).
- 7pm Thursday 10 July All Quiet on the Western Front (Lewis Milestone, 1930)
- 7.30pm Friday 11 July Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder, 1950)
- 1pm Saturday 12 July Disney’s Lady and the Tramp (1955)
- midday Sunday 13 July Free film workshop for 12-19 year olds
- 7.30pm Monday 14 July Hour of the Wolf (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)
- 7.30pm Tuesday 15 July Farewell my Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
- 7.30 Thursday 17 July Treacle JR + Q&A (TBC) (Jamie Thraves, 2010)
Dates: Thursday 10th – Thursday 17th July 2014
- Book online at sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk or by following the links below
- Book over the phone call 020 3659 0551
- Book in person at Kirkdale Bookshop, 272 Kirkdale, Sydenham SE26 4RS
- Buy on the door when not sold out, tickets will be available on the night