ABOUT SMOKESCREEN LONDON
Smokescreen London is a film website for those Londoners who don't just want to take advantage of the vast choice of films screening around the city and cinemas in which to watch them. It is for those who want to go behind the scenes and find out more about their favourite films at Q&A sessions with directions and stars. For those who want to watch films in unique, hard-to-reach, or just plain weird places such as rooftops or rediscovered underground temples. For those who want to take part in immersive cinema experiences, where the viewer ends up becoming a participant in live re-enactments of memorable scenes from cult films. Smokescreen keeps an eye on not only the latest releases across London, with reviews and interview features with directors and actors, but we aim to keep our readers in the loop on the kind of intriguing, one-off film seasons and special events that any card-carrying film buff would be ashamed to miss.
OWEN VAN SPALL - EDITOR
Film PROGRAMMer | Journalist
- Programmer at Rooftop Film Club US and UK (2017-2018 season).
- Programmer and venue manager at Deptford Community Cinema.
- lso programmer/curator at several other London community cinemas.
SELECTED WRITING WORK ELSEWHERE:
- Link to my Guardian profile and cuttings for the paper.
- Link to my Journalisted profile and several years of cuttings.
- Link to my Eyeforfilm profile and several years of film reviews for the site.
- Interview with the cast of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Review with The Armstrong Lie and Mea Maxima Culpa director Alex Gibney on EyeforFilm.
- Interview with Jon Stewart of The Daily Show about his film Rosewater.
- My Linkedin profile.
- One of my Sight & Sound articles you can read for free online, my review of Secret Cinema 18.
- Link to download of a PDF of one of my Sight & Sound reviews (as its not free to read online).
- Link to download of a PDF of one of my film features on the Berlin Film Festival for my student newspaper The London Student, (as its not free to read online).
- Link to download of a PDF of one of my film features on the films of Werner Herzog for my student newspaper The London Student, (as its not free to read online).
- Film feature I wrote for Grolsch Film Works.
- Link to download a PDF of a feature for my local paper The South London Press (as its not free to read online).
- Link to an a news story I wrote for SFX.